Tuesday 16 February 2010

Part 8

Monday morning. I always loved the first day of school. I realise how uncool that is to admit. I woke up Monday morning expecting to feel differently about my first day at Everwood High but I woke up with that familiar first day glow. It's strange to be so grateful for something that used to be normal but normal feels great. Normal will make today a lot easier. I get up have a shower before carefully selecting my first day outfit- I want to look casual but also cute. I decide on empire waisted knitted dress and leather jacket paired with some flats. I am stuffing a notebook, my Ipod, pens, pencils, my laptop, my gym clothes and a scarf into a graphic canvas holdall when Marcia rushes in in her underwear with rollers in her hair.
"Oh heavens! Please please please tell me we have time. What time does school start?" She is hilariously panicked.
"We have time but you don't have time for breakfast. Actually I don't have time for breakfast. Actually we don't have time I told Jase we would be there in like 5 minutes" I realise.
As I am talking she dashes off to change. She is pulling on her shoes as we head out of the house.
"How do I look?" She asks flustered.
"Good. I'll drive to Jase's and you can fix your hair" She nods and tosses me the keys.
Two minutes later we are parked outside of Jase's house. I run up the driveway and ring the doorbell. Jase answers he is dressed neatly he is wearing a plaid shirt tucked into a pair of belted khakis and a navy blue windbreaker. His shock of curly hair looks like someone struggled to tame it before accepting defeat.
"Hey. You sound winded."
"I am we kind of failed as far as estimating wake up calls so no breakfast for us but we are on time if we leave right now" I reply.
"Hello Aisha look I really appreciate this but I am not sure if I am comfortable with Jase coming with you he's going to need some special attention and it isn't really fair" His Mum Tina is rushing out of the kitchen holding two brown bags.
"Mum. You need to stop. If I am going to do this I need to really do this. On my own. So Aisha will drive me and we will both check in since we are both new students and I will be lead around by the disability liaison they told us about. I'll be fine okay? Back me up Dad!"
"Stop babying him Tina he will be fine and if he isn't he will call" comes a booming voice from upstairs.
I can tell Jase is trying to keep his patience "Mum if we don't leave now we are going to be late."
"Okay okay" she concedes handing s each one brown bag "I made you both a sack lunch. Good luck." She pulls her son in for a bear hug and whispers into his ear something that I can't quite make out.
"Don't worry Mrs Goodman We'll watch out for each other. Thanks so much for the lunch. You didn't have to" I say
"My pleasure sweetie and call me Tina okay?" she is wiping tears out of her eyes as we leave.
"Oh God" Jase groans as I lead him to the car "No other 17 year old had to endure that drama just going to school"
"Be nice. She loves you"
"You're on her side now!" he cries indignantly.
"Um she made me lunch. What have you done for me lately?" I laugh.
I introduce Marcia to Jase as we enter the car. I climb into the back seat so we can sit together.
"Okay you guys tell me honestly- how do I look?" Jase asks as we head off to school.
"What do you mean?" I ask as my sister eyes me with trepidation in the rear view mirror.
"This outfit. The first day of school outfit is crucial right? My mum picked this out".
"Um.. You look like you're Mum picked out your outfit" I answer.
"Oh God" He runs his hands in his hair making the curly mop even more of an adorable mess.
"To be fair Jase. It is a very accurate and expressive outfit" Marcia cracks up laughing as she responds.
"Marcia don't be mean. It's also sending some Jehova Witness or a young Republican vibes" I can't help but join in.
"Haha. I understand the impulse to mock the blind guy but you could also.. you know... help" Jase yells.
"Okay calm down Jase. Here" I reach over and untuck his shirt and unbutton the first few buttons after I discover that he has layered a plain white T shirt underneath I untuck that. Since his Mum still let him wear his beat up pear of chucks the look works and is a huge improvement.
"If you have finished with your extreme makeover: backseat edition. We have arrived at school. Are you okay going in by yourself? I really don't want to be late for school" She says pleadingly.
"Yup we are fine" I reply as we hop out. I hug Marcia through the window. I let Jase find my elbow and wait for him to snap open his cane.
"Are you ready for this?" I ask him as we both face the school.
"Not at all" He replies. I can tell he is nervous.
"Well you look great Jase. Very good first day outfit" I squeeze his arm to reassure him.
"Okay then guide on" He declares.
We head into the school once we are in the hallway Jase asks what it looks like and I have trouble describing it. "It kind of looks like industrial-ey and charmless".
In the administration office we approach the reception desk "Hi I'm Aisha Ogilvy and this is Jason Goodman. It's our first day as Juniors here at Everwood High"
She asks us to have a seat until the principal is ready to see us.
"It's weird to think that a few days ago I had a Headmistress and now I have a Principal"
Jase doesn't reply I look over and he is gripping his folded up cane so tightly that his knuckles are white. I look around the admin office and note the noise coming from the halls outside. This must be really unsettling for him.
"I'm really glad we're starting together. I mean, half the battle of the first day is not looking like a total loser when lunch comes. So you're going to sit with me right? Please?" I ask.
"Sure" he smiles I am sure he can see my transparent efforts to reassure him.
We meet briefly with the Principal she tells us that she has arranged for Jase to have a guide. Although our schedules mostly match up because we are in all the advanced placement classes. The Principal calls in Jase's designated guide.
"Oh Hi Amy!" I say when the waitress from the cafe walks in. She does not look at all pleased to be there. Her face is drawn, her eyes are bloodshot and her hair really needs a trim but she is beautiful. I give her a smile that I hope conveys that I recognise her as one of the walking wounded and that I understand. She smiles back obviously her embracing of grunge does not erase a lifetime of good breeding.
"Oh good you all know each other" The principal says "Amy will show you both around and Jason she will act as your guide and reader after school should you need her. Amy is, I am sure, happy to assist either of you in any way that she can" He declares with a meaningful glance at Amy.
We head out of the office with Amy leading the way and me guiding Jase.
"Welcome to hell. Just a brief run down of the school structure- 500 students gives us one of the lowest student teacher ratios of any public school but that does not stop the all pervading suck. Trust me" she intones darkly.
"Maybe Brett was wrong- it isn't going to be anything like high school musical" I mutter in Jase's ear.
"You've met my brother Brett?" Amy asks.
"Yeah. We met him at Mama Joy's. Him and Eli gave us the school run down" Jase answers.
"Cool. Look, I am so not Sally school spirit right now so if you could just show yourselves around that would be great. Jase I'll talk to you tomorrow about coming over to read. Here is your first class. Later" And just like that she is gone.
"What is her damage?" Jase wonders out loud.
Before I can answer we are inside the class room. A teacher notes us entering and the room begins to buzz. I hand him the slip from the principal. He welcomes us to the class and asks us to introduce ourselves. Jase nudges me forward.
"Hi I'm Aisha. I just moved to Everwood from London." I stop there deciding to keep it short and sweet.
"Hi I'm Jason and I just moved to Everwood from Minnesota." Jase speaks confidently but I can tell it is at an effort.
"Welcome Jason and Aisha. I am Mr Mammoth and I teach AP History. I am sure you will both be valued additions. Please find a seat and we will begin." Mr Mammoth smiles encouragingly as we walk past him to the two available seats. Jase trips over someone's back pack on our way through the aisle and I whisper "Sorry". "Not your fault" he returns as he slides into the seat. The chairs have desks attached to them. The novelty of this amuses me for a bit before I am drawn into the class. The morning passes quickly. Soon we are part of the massive herd drawn toward the cafeteria. Jase stops suddenly.
"Do you mind if we just hang back a little. A huge crowd of hungry teens and a guy who can't see waving a stick around- it is a recipe for disaster" I can tell that there is more to it than that but I accept his reasons. We sit on the bottom step and I watch him take off his sunglasses and rub his temples.
"This shouldn't be this hard" he says quietly.
"What?" I ask.
"Mainstreaming. The day is only half over and I'm exhausted" he admits.
"I feel you" I lean on his leg as I speak "I mean I don't know but I get it. It will get easier though, you just have to get used to it" His hand is on my forearm and before I can process what is happening we are sitting on the steps holding hands. It is nice. I give his hand a squeeze before standing up. "We have to go eat. I want to see what your mum put in my brown bag. I've never had a brown bag lunch before.."
We head into the cafeteria and find a table in the corner. Jase is in the middle of a hilarious impression of our Geography teacher when Eli comes up to the table holding his lunch tray.
"Do you guys mind if I sit with you?" he asks.
"Of course not. Is Brett with you" Jase cocks his head.
"Uh..no. We are kind of...um.. Brett does his jock thing when we are at school. I do my loner thing. We stick to our wheelhouses."
"Sit" I pat the chair next to me invitingly "We'll try not to interfere with your commitment to the loner lifestyle. Actually I was wondering whether you have practised any Schubert before. I was working on one of the sonatas before I got here and I need a piano player. Do you want to practice together?"
"Sure. I actually need some help with duets. I'm trying to get into Julliard"
"Wow. You must be really good." Jase starts to unwrap his sandwich and I follow his lead. It is proscuitto and cheese on wholegrain bread with a little bit of honey mustard, a bag of crisps and an apple.
"I'll tell you what's good" I am speaking with a mouth full of sandwich "This sandwich! Your Mum is amazing. Do you think if I play up the orphan thing she'll pack me lunch everyday?"
"Ugh is your mouth full- I thought English people had manners?" he teases.
"I got carried away. I'm sorry but it was mostly the sandwiches fault" this time I swallow before I speak.
"Can we back up to the part about you being an orphan?" Eli asks.
The bell rings signalling the end of lunch period.
"We have gym" I say apologetically to Eli while manouevering myself to Jase's side.
"Um.. no you don't. Girls and boys have separate classes" Eli informs us as we move out of the cafeteria.
"Oh shit. Could you take Jase to class then? I have to get changed" I rush out. I know I probably left them a little confused but I have to get changed in relative privacy.
I am exhausted by the time the final bell rings. The day had begun its steady downturn when the coach announced that we would be playing basketball. I hate sport. I'm not really great with team work and every ball in the world seems to hold a grudge that can only be resolved by hurling themselves at my face. The coach seems to expect me to be some sort of basketball superstar and keeps yelling "Hustle" to me. I mutter under my breath "I do not speak jock". The ball flies in my direction and I use my arms to protect my face. Somehow I make it through the game unscathed. On my way to the locker room the coach calls me over to berate me for my disappointing performance.
"What is his problem?" I look up from my fuming to see a mousy girl with long curly hair and red framed glasses.
"Apparently my height and skin colour make me predestined for basketball glory. I love stereotypes. Ugh. I tried to explain to him that I am allergic to balls and my own sweat." I giggle to let her know I am not really that angry.
"Oh God. I know you are new so allow me to apologize on behalf of Everwood. Coach is really only playing with half a deck. I'm Hannah and I swear that this town isn't so bad. Speaking as a former new kid." She rushes this all out in one breathe. A kindred nervous talker. I reach out to shake her hand as I pull off my sweaty gym shirt.
"I'm Aisha. Don't worry. I hated gym way before I got here. At least you guys have a more honest name for it. Back at my old school it was called "games" and I loathed the false joviality you know. Gym- short, utilitarian and honest. Much better." I reply as I hastily wrap myself in a towel preparing to head for the showers. Her eyes widen and I know she has noted my scars- I had a few marrow transplants when I was younger and host vs graft on brown skin is really hideous. She is too polite to say anything and I pretend not to notice her reaction- she seems nice.
"Actually I agree. We are studying 1984 in English and I think that the most horrible part of dystopia is the doublespeak. It's insulting!" I can tell she could really warm to this topic.
"Haha. Wait so if they were straight forward if the Ministry of Love was called the centralised breeding bureau you would be okay with everything else?" I tease lightly as we head to the shower.
"Oh yeah. Honesty is paramount." She dead pans. Her eyes twinkle and I can't help but like her.
We chat easily as we shower and get ready for classes. It turns out we have the same art period and that we are assigned as partners. The bell rings for the end of the day and I head off to look for Jase realising that I have no idea how he got to his classes. The guilt makes me rush through the halls frantically until I spot Eli, Brett, Jase and two other boys I don't know on the front garden (lawn) of the school. I rush toward them before realising that they look like they are having fun- fooling around with the ease of instant male camaraderie (usually sport induced I note darkly) and If I ran up like a panicked idiot it might embarrass Jase. I slow my pace and approach them casually.
"Hey guys!" I greet the group.
"Aisha! Hey! We were waiting for you. Did you have a good first day?" Brett responds eagerly. I smile because Brett seems to wear every emotion right out in the open. He is so refreshingly unguarded. He introduces me to the two other boys Colin and Jimmy. They smile easily as we shake hands.
"I did. But your intel did not include anything about the girls' gym teacher expecting me to be some sort of basketball phenom because I'm black" I joke.
"He's the worst. That's why he coaches the girls' teams" Everyone else cracks up at Brett's response but he doesn't get the irony of such blatant sexism after I complained about race stereotypes. He shrugs off our reactions. "Jase here actually won us our game. All he needed was someone to stand undet the net and make a beeping sound. It was amazing. Don't be so modest Radar!" he exclaims punching Jase on the shoulder "You managed to make the team that got stuck with Eli look good" the group cracks up.
"I should be insulted but I don't care" Eli dead pans.
"Radar?" I repeat questioningly.
"My new nick name. Apparently I don't have a choice. Um.. I actually have to get going. My Mum starts to freak out like five minutes after school lets out."
"No problem man. See you tomorrow." Eli says and then blushes at what he imagines is a horrendous faux pas.
"See you guys tomorrow" he replies easily as he unsnaps his cane. We make our way to the car and I apologise for not finding him after gym.
"Don't worry about it. It was nice to hang out with those guys.."He replies.
"Speaking of which. Basketball? I did not peg you for the jock type" I enquire when we are in the car and heading back home.
"I like sports. Luckily the coach and the guys were cool enough to let me try. I was really glad they weren't too freaked out."
I laugh and explain the grand conspiracy of balls to him. Finishing "You are either with me or the balls. Looks like you chose the dark round side" I intone darkly. This cracks Jase up.
He is telling me about his Spanish class with Eli and Brett when we pull into his driveway. I am just about to open my door and walk him to the front door when he smiles and reassures me "Its cool. Tomorrow bright and early okay?" before leaving. I make sure he gets to the front door which he does and sticks out his tongue acknowledging the fact I didn't leave. I giggle and drive home.
Once home I do my homework on the kitchen table before starting on dinner. Marcia comes in at around 6.30 to find me cooking up a storm and singing along to the Rolling Stones playing on the stereo.
"I could kiss you. That smells so good. I'm going to freshen up and I will be down to help and by help I mean eat." I listen to her run up the stairs and start setting the table.
When she comes down she look comfy in workout pants, hoodie and slippers. She sits down and rests her head on the top of the table. I bring the food over- I made chicken curry and rice with salad.
"That bad?" I cluck concerned.
"No. It was good I learned a lot but holy heavens work is hard. No one tells you. University has room for nap breaks and long lunches. My childhood is over isn't it?" she asks glumly.
"No. You are so young. And so pretty" I stroke her hand like she is a house cat. She sticks her tongue out at me.
"What is with people and doing that to me!" I exclaim. As we eat she tells me more about her day. Apparently the job is a lot more involved than just making coffee. She handles press relations, keeps the mayor abreast with legislative initiatives, organises her schedule and travel arrangements and is the mayor's liaison with all the other government offices. Everwood is a small town but the municipality is extremely well funded. I tell her about my day about my excitement at meeting Hannah and my relief that Jase had gotten on so well with the the boys. "I think I might even be looking forward to tomorrow. Apart from gym. I may join the school paper." We are sitting on the couch. My sister is nursing a glass of wine and I am sipping a mug of tea. We were watching project runway before a commercial break prompted me to finish my story. Her phone buzzes and Marcia leaves the living room to pick it up. I pick up the Harper's Bazaar that I was flicking through at the doctors and read the whole blurb attached to our picture. I am shaking my head at the phrase "bright young things" when Marcia comes back in visibly shaken. She sits down stares at the screen intently downing the remnants of her wine glass and not offering any information. "What's up?" I prompt.
She sighs and puts the glass down "That was John- he was letting me know that we are front page news in London and that he thinks American press might start asking questions so he was warning us".
"Oh", We've only been here a week so I am completely at a loss "Why would the Yanks care though. We're barely that interesting in the UK outside London. It's not like we killed our parents.. there really isn't much of a story. I don't think they will find us.." I know I don't sound convincing. I say the words anyway to comfort myself and to comfort her. She bursts into tears anyway. I rub her back in small circles clockwise. The wall come crumbling down and all her pent up grief, rage, fears and stress comes gushing out. She is sobbing and taking deep choking breathes. I continue to rub her back. Small circles always clockwise. My mum did it when we were sick, sad or scared always clockwise. I do it to remind her that as long as we are here they are here. I do it because words wouldn't do anything to help with the feelings that she thought she could control she needs to cry she needs release. I do it because all I can do is remind her that I am here and hope that there is an end to the tears. That when the wall is destroyed and the flood subsided I am still there.

No comments: