Thursday 28 January 2010

Part 4

"He should be in the house. Can I trust you to find him?" She asks. I follow her gaze to a table being manhandled out of the truck and I understand that she has her hands full.
"Sure". As I step into the house I immediately worry about the task I have taken on. No teenage boys take kindly to babysitting not even blind ones perhaps especially not blind ones. I notice a teenager listlessly running his hands along the kitchen island he is standing next too.
"Mum could you please give me something to do?" he asks as I enter the kitchen.
"Hey. I'm Aisha I live two doors down we just moved in too and I was taking a walk and thought I would check out the newest new neighbours" I approach him slowly as I say this. He registers the information calmly.
"Hi I'm Jase" he sticks his hand out for me to shake. It's not exactly where I am standing but impressively close. I shake it.
"Lovely to meet you. How old are you Jase?"
"Seventeen"
"I'm sixteen- glad I won't be the only new kid in town. Safety in numbers right?"
"I wouldn't have guessed sixteen" he smiles crookedly "the accent makes you seem older"
"I sound old!" I exclaim feigning offence.
"No. I meant mature. You sound mature" He laughs good naturedly.
"Definitely the accent then. I'm not" I deadpan.
"So how did you end up in this dump town?" He asks.
"It's a long story. How about you?"
"A really short story. Two words; new and job"
At this moment Tina enters the kitchen "I see you guys met. Why don't you go check out the town?"
"Don't you need my help?" He asks there is an edge to his question but I dismiss it since it isn't directed at me.
"No", Tina replies sweetly "We have it all under control. Go away."
"I could fill you in on my long story. You could also maybe add a few words to yours? I'm very comfortable with leaving my sister to do all the work. She has full on crazy eyes right now."
He leans into me and stage whispers "Like my mum's are now?"
"Uncannily similar" I reply in a stage whisper.
"Cool- I know when I'm not wanted" he says at normal volume. He reaches out for his Mum finds her arm and she kisses him on the cheek. He then turns to face me
"Let's go"
"Okay" I allow him to find my arm and he grips it above the elbow. He pulls his cane out of the back of his jeans but doesn't unfold it until we are outside the front door.
"Steps. Three of them down." I say warning him of the porch steps. He finds them and steps down them easily. We set off in the direction of main street.
"So lets build on the two word story. Whose job?" I ask
"My Mum's. My Dad is a contractor so he can work anywhere but my Mum is going to be editing the town paper. She grew up here."
"You don't sound too enthused?"
"I'm fine. I'm just not great with change. I had friends in Minneapolis, I liked my school and my life and it just sucks that I don't get a say"
"What was your school like?"
"It was a small school for kids with problems mainstreaming "special kids"" He smiles wryly "It was pretty great"
"I went to a smaller school too. Lets step this way and avoid the tree. It was a boarding school but I was home nearly every weekend. I loved it too" I say.
"So why are you here? I mean London to Everwood is not a popular air route and there is a reason for that"
"Okay brace yourself because I am going to test my story out on you. You are the first person to hear it and your reaction will determine whether or not I tell it again"
"Okaaay" He says squaring up his shoulders "Hit me".
"Well my parents were in a car accident. My mother died on the spot and my Father survived and was stabilized only to die five days later when he figured out that my Mother was dead. My sister and I had to get away so she threw a dart at a map to pick continent, and then I threw to pick country, and then she threw to pick region and then we picked Everwood because we like the name. And that is why we moved here I conclude."
He stopped walking when I began my story and I look at him now taking in his expression.
"That bad huh? I will definitely come up with something else by Monday" I joke weakly. When he doesn't reply I add "Sorry, I shouldn't joke. It's not funny. I shouldn't have said anything"
"I'm glad you did- tell me, that is. I would just straight up lie at school though."
"Duly noted" I smile grateful he has let me off the hook.
"When did all this happen?" he asks his voice serious again.
"Five weeks ago" Against my will tears fill my eyes. I shake my head to stop them. He squeezes my arm slightly as if to steady me. I wonder how he knew I needed steadying.
"We're here- Nina's. The local cafe. Step up."
Once we are inside we find a table near the window and sit down. Nina's isn't the old timey Diner I was hoping for instead it has the sleek look that most Coffee shops around the world have.
"Thanks for the arm- I'm guessing I'm not the first blind person you've known"
"What makes you think I'm not just a natural?" He simply cocks his eyebrow in response.
"Fine" I relent "A friend of mine Holly has a blind little sister Suri we went to disability awareness class together."
"Uh.. cool?" he responds and I just laugh at his uncertainty "Works out well for me anyway. I don't have to train you"
"Your verb choice makes me sound like a monkey!" I laugh.
A pretty blonde waitress who looks about our age interrupts us "Hi. I'm Amy welcome to Nina's here are the menu's and I will be back in a bit to take your drink orders".
"So what about you?"
"What about me?" He responds chuckling.
"Any horrible stories you want to test drive on me before you start school?- you are going to the local one aren't you?"
"I am and are you asking me how I went blind?" He asks in a stage whisper.
I swat the hand he has cupped on the side of his mouth playfully.
"No- any awkward truth will do. But I have two dead parents so make it good!"
"No I don't have anything that good" He says the playfulness gone from his voice
Amy returns and Jase orders black coffee and I order a latte. I notice he didn't volunteer the information but now I know that he went blind and wasn't born blind. I don't push the topic. He'll tell me when he is ready. I change the subject to something more neutral and we chat easily for a bit. Jase tells me about his best friend from back home and I tell him about mine. We talk about the books that we are reading. I am getting really excited to have met someone that I have so much in common with. When I look up hours have passed.

"Oh crap- I'd better go. I actually promised my sister I would help set up some stuff we got today. Our stuff from home isn't here yet."
I pay the bill and we exit Nina's and I notice that he is humming a matchbox twenty song -Unwell.
"I love that song. That whole album really. Any matchbox twenty song" I comment awkwardly.
"Me too" he replies simply and we walk back to our street humming matchbox twenty songs the whole way trying to catch up the other person by using bonus tracks and songs not played on the radio. When he couldn't pick up Last Beautiful Girl I declare myself the winner.
"No way!" he protests
"You can still be their second biggest fan in Everwood. Does that take the sting off of your failure?" I mock unable to resist rubbing my victory in his face.
"The only thing that stings is my ears from your terrible humming. You managed to mangle that song into something barely recognizable as music" he replies. I cannot keep the delight off of my face- he gives as good as he gets.
"I wasn't aware this was a singing competition. I am the biggest fan. Admit it." I respond blithely.
"Okay- how many times have you seen them live?" he asks.
"Ermm none."
"Well then you cannot be their biggest fan. Hate to break it to you but it falls under my jurisdiction as their biggest fan" he says.
"So I lose? Just like that?"
"Just like that" he pronounces with an absolute finality that makes me laugh.
"Oh we're here" I say noting his Mum coming to meet us "Hi Tina!"I greet her "I should go" I say to Jason "We can settle this tomorrow though- will you be around?"
"I will be school doesn't start until Monday"
"Cool maybe you could come over and hang out at mine for a bit. I could come pick you up"
"Don't worry about it, my brother will bring me it's two houses down right?"
He cocks his head and his gaze roams downwards. I realize he probably has to remind himself to maintain "eye contact".
"Right do you um want my number so you can call and let me know when your coming over?" I fumble to the end of the sentence all of a sudden unsure about how to exchange phone numbers with a boy who cannot see.
"What is it?" he asks pulling out his phone.
I recite my number and he types it in and saves it with a voice tag "2nd biggest fan". I scoff in his direction shaking my head at the tag he chose and smile at his Mother before heading home.



No comments: